Sexual and Reproductive Health Advanced Training
We have developed a new SRH Advanced Training Programme. This is a three-year supervised training pathway for doctors to specialise in sexual and reproductive health.
The training equips future specialists with the knowledge, skills and professional qualities to meet the sexual and reproductive healthcare needs of the people of Aotearoa.
Applications for the SRH Advanced Training Programme are closed until the programme has been accredited by the Medical Council of New Zealand.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Those who want to have recognition of prior learning (RPL) must apply at the time of application for the SRH Advanced Training Programme. Full details are in the NZCSRH Recognition of Prior Learning Policy.
The Specialist International Medical Graduate Pathway to Fellowship
This is an alternative pathway to fellowship for Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMG). Full details are in the NZCSRH Specialist Medical International Graduates Policy and Procedure.
Applications for the SRH Advanced Training Programme are currently closed.
To be eligible for the SRH Advanced Training Programme, applicants must:
- Have general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
- Have a minimum of 2 years post graduate medical experience.
- Hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Hold citizenship or resident status in New Zealand.
- Have satisfactorily completed a core Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training course within the last three years.
- Have obtained the Otago or Auckland University Diploma of Obstetrics and Medical Gynaecology (DipOMG) or DRANZCOG within the last 5 years.
There is a non-refundable application fee of $500 for all applicants.
There is an additional non-refundable application fee of $1750 for applicants who also apply for recognition of prior learning.
The fee per annum (incl GST) for Trainee membership subject to annual review is $150
SRH Advanced Training Curriculum
This is a 36-months full time programme (up to 72-months flexible training).
Year 1 comprises:
36 weeks FTE Family Planning,
12 weeks FTE Sexual Health Medicine.
Years 2-3 comprise:
- 80 weeks of FTE employment in a sexual reproductive health service to include a minimum of 50 weeks in a clinic accredited to provide family planning experience,
- The equivalent of 6 months of 1 day a week (7.5 hrs) of abortion care (unless completed in year 1) including counselling and observation / provision of medical and surgical abortion (which may be within a sexual and reproductive health accredited clinic),
- A research project presented at a national or international conference / published in a peer review journal, or
- An audit with completion of the audit cycle which leads to demonstrated change in practice in sexual and reproductive health setting (unless completed in year 1),
- 50 hours in each of 2 subspecialty introductory topics from the specified list.
A detailed outline of the clinical placement components of the SRH Advanced Training Programme can be found here